This is the last article you can read this month
You can read more article this month
You can read more articles this month
Sorry your limit is up for this month
Reset on:
Please help support the Morning Star by subscribing here
STRIKING John Deere workers in the United States were considering an “enhanced” new six-year deal put to them today but the picket lines will remain in place until the results are in.
More than 10,000 auto workers at the farm equipment plants in Illinois, Iowa and Kansas are set to vote on the new offer, the details of which have not been released.
Workers rejected a previous offer, walking out on October 14 for the first time in 35 years.
They argue that the company can afford a rise, with executives predicting record profits of almost $6 billion (£4.3bn) this year, a rise of 63 per cent.
United Auto Workers (UAW) local 28 said that the new offer includes a retirement bonus of $37,500 (£27,513) each for those who have worked for 10-24 years, and workers that have been there longer would get $50,000 (£36,684) each.
John Deere is valued at more than $100bn (£72.7bn) on the stock market, with the value of its shares tripling during the coronavirus pandemic as workers kept the company going.
Its chief executive, John May, received $15.6 million (£11.3m) last year, a 160 per cent rise from the $6m (£4.3m) he was gifted in 2019.
It is not clear whether the offer will be accepted and the union did not outline a timetable for voting on the deal.
“Our UAW John Deere national bargaining team went back to our local members after the previous tentative agreement and canvassed the concerns and priorities of membership,” UAW president Ray Curry said.
“We want to thank the UAW bargaining team and striking UAW members and their families for the sacrifices they have made to achieve these gains.
“Our members have enjoyed the support of our communities and the entire labour movement nationwide as they have stood together in support and solidarity these past few weeks,” he said.
