Skip to main content

Labour asks if Murdoch’s hand brought back Gove

Watson wonders what was behind new Environment Secretary’s shock return

by Lamiat Sabin, Parliamentary Reporter

LABOUR tried to pin down the Prime Minister yesterday on the influence of media monopolist Rupert Murdoch had on Michael Gove’s surprising reappointment to the Cabinet.

In a letter to PM Theresa May, Labour deputy leader Tom Watson asked her to make clear whether the News Corp chief, Australian-born but now a US citizen, had ever suggested Mr Gove should be given a ministerial job.

He also asked whether the owner of The Sun, The Times and The Sunday Times had threatened that failure to take his advice might lead to “consequences” in terms of media coverage of her government.

Mr Gove, who was sacked from the Cabinet when Ms May became PM last June, was brought back into the fold during Sunday’s post-election reshuffle as Environment Secretary, a surprising move in the light of previous clashes.

He worked at The Times before entering politics and attended Mr Murdoch’s wedding last year. He returned to work for the paper after being sacked and in February secured the first foreign newspaper interview with the newly elected US President Donald Trump — with Mr Murdoch sitting in.

When David Cameron quit as prime minister in the wake of the June 2016 EU referendum, the former education secretary stood unsuccessfully against home secretary Ms May for leadership of the Conservative Party. The pair had clashed previously, blaming each others’ departments for failing to deal with the supposed spread of Islamist fundamentalism in schools.

Mr Watson wrote: “It has been suggested to me that Rupert Murdoch asked you to appoint Michael Gove to the Cabinet.

“Given your failure to secure a parliamentary majority and the consequent weakness of your position, it might be tempting to allow yourself to be influenced by powerful media proprietors who can shape the way your government is covered.”

He ended his letter with a sarcastic: “Congratulations on your election campaign, by the way. Fantastic stuff, well done.”

Campaign for Press and Broadcasting Freedom (CPBF) chairwoman Ann Field told the Star that “an unhealthy administration seeking unhealthy partnership on all fronts is hardly a surprise.”

She added that the campaign is awaiting the outcome of the Murdoch family’s renewed £11.7 billion bid for complete control of Sky.

Ms Field said: “The new government must commit itself to implementing [the second stage of the Leveson Inquiry] and section 40 unless it wishes to associate itself with the worst excesses, practices and corruption the press and media have to offer.”

Section 40 of the Crime & Courts Act, generally opposed by newspapers, which claim it could hamper investigations, could force publishers to pay costs for those that sue them, even if they win.

The Tory manifesto promised to scrap the law, which CPBF argues gives everyone access to affordable justice so that not only the wealthy can hold the media to account.

 

OWNED BY OUR READERS

We're a reader-owned co-operative, which means you can become part of the paper too by buying shares in the People’s Press Printing Society.

 

 

Become a supporter

Fighting fund

You've Raised:£ 14,343
We need:£ 3,657
2 Days remaining
Donate today