Skip to main content

World in brief: 31st January 2015

Top cops jailed for corruption

Thailand: A court sentenced two top police officers embroiled in a corruption scandal to six years in prison yesterday on charges of insulting the monarchy and running a gambling den.

The court found Central Investigation Bureau former chief Pongpat Chayapan and his deputy guilty of claiming royal backing for a Bangkok gambling den.

Mr Chayapan is distantly related to the royal family through the crown prince’s ex-wife.

Disaffected voters stone Jonathan

Nigeria: Youths angry at the government’s failure to fight Islamic extremists threw stones at President Goodluck Jonathan’s electioneering convoy in the eastern town of Jalingo on Thursday, breaking windscreens and windows on several vehicles.

Police used tear gas and whips to disperse them.

From Jalingo, Mr Jonathan flew to Yola, the capital of Adamawa state, where officials declared the route of his motorcade a no-go area. The presidential cavalcade had already been stoned in Katsina city and north-east Bauchi last week.

Hunt for terror suspect goes on

Philippines: President Benigno Aquino III said yesterday he has ordered the hunt for a Filipino terror suspect who escaped an operation that resulted in the killings of 44 police commandos.

During a day of mourning Mr Aquino promised grieving relatives that government forces will capture suspected bomb-maker Abdul Basit Usman.

US coup backer admits charges

United States: A US citizen of Gambian descent pleaded guilty on Thursday to charges linked to a failed coup in Gambia.

Papa Faal pleaded guilty to buying semi-automatic rifles in Minnesota and hiding them in barrels that were shipped to Gambia.

He admitted that he participated in trying to overthrow Yahya Jammeh, president of the former British colony.

The coup attempt took place on December 30.

Police hold 4 in anti-terror raids

Belgium: Police detained four suspects yesterday in an anti-terror sweep linked to the recruitment of jihadists.

Police searched 22 homes mostly in north-eastern Belgium in the early morning, but found no weapons, explosives or ammunition.

The federal prosecutor’s office said the raids had been aimed at “uncovering the organisation behind the recruitment and sending” of individuals to Syria.

Athletes will have to train at home

Russia: Deputy Sports Minister Yuri Nagornykh warned yesterday that his country’s economic crisis is forcing athletes to scale back their training plans for next year’s Olympics in Brazil.

Training camps abroad have become unaffordable since the rouble lost almost half of its value against the US dollar.

Mr Nagornykh said that athletes should stay in Russia “in order to spend less currency reserves.”

Merged chain axes workers

Canada: Coffee chain Tim Hortons, which recently merged with Burger King, admitted yesterday that about 350 employees had been laid off this week.

Most of those axed worked at its headquarters and regional offices.

The government’s stipulations on the merger required Tim Hortons to maintain staff levels at its franchised restaurants for five years but office workers were not protected under the agreement.

Missing general surfaces at UN

Venezuela: A dissident Venezuelan general who has been on the run for nearly a year popped up in New York on Thursday.

Brigadier General Antonio Rivero has been hiding since President Nicolas Maduro ordered his arrest last spring, accusing him of training fascists to foment unrest during street protests.

Gen Rivero told journalists that he had travelled to the US to ask the UN to fight for his cause.

In early 2014 he supported a wave of street protests that resulted in more than 40 deaths.

OWNED BY OUR READERS

We're a reader-owned co-operative, which means you can become part of the paper too by buying shares in the People’s Press Printing Society.

 

 

Become a supporter

Fighting fund

You've Raised:£ 9,899
We need:£ 8,101
12 Days remaining
Donate today