This is the last article you can read this month
You can read more article this month
You can read more articles this month
Sorry your limit is up for this month
Reset on:
Please help support the Morning Star by subscribing here
OFFICIALS from Hamas and Islamic Jihad said today that they had reached a deal with Israel to end the Israeli onslaught that has killed more than 2,000 Palestinians.
Islamic Jihad senior official Ziad Nakhala said the deal called for an “open-ended” ceasefire and an Israeli agreement to ease its blockade of Gaza to allow relief supplies and construction materials into the war-battered territory.
Talks on more complex issues, such as Hamas’s demand to build an airport and a seaport for Gaza, would begin in a month, he said.
A full statement was awaited as the Morning Star went to press.
Israel bombed two Gaza City high-rises holding dozens of homes and shops yesterday, collapsing one building and severely damaging the other.
In the past, the Israeli military has hit targets in high-rises but left the buildings standing.
But since Saturday it has toppled or destroyed five towers and shopping centres in a new tactic aimed at increasing pressure on Hamas.
Yesterday’s strikes severely damaged the “Little Italy” complex in the Nasser area of Gaza city.
Witnesses said an F16 fired at least six rockets at the tower block, which held 60 flats and a commercial complex including dozens of shops.
Shortly afterwards, warplanes hit the 15-storey Al-Basha building in the western Rimal neighbourhood, causing massive damage and wounding 15 people.
Both buildings were evacuated after receiving warnings of impending strikes.
Gaza health official Ashraf al-Kidra said 25 people were wounded in the attack on the Italian complex.
The Israeli military said it targeted sites linked to Hamas, but made no specific reference to the two buildings.
Israel alleges Hamas often operates from civilian locations.
Israel’s military has not said why it has begun collapsing large buildings, rather than carrying out smaller strikes against suspected militant targets located in them.
Israel’s bloody war has so far killed at least 2,133 Palestinians and wounded more than 11,000, according to Palestinian health officials.
The UN estimates more than 17,000 homes have been destroyed, leaving 100,000 people homeless.
