This is the last article you can read this month
You can read more article this month
You can read more articles this month
Sorry your limit is up for this month
Reset on:
Please help support the Morning Star by subscribing here
ROYAL Navy whistleblower Able Seaman William McNeilly who was arrested in Scotland last week is believed to have been transferred to barracks in Portsmouth, according to social media at the weekend.
Mr McNeilly worked on one of the four-strong fleet of Vanguard-class submarines which carry the Trident nuclear missile system.
He exposed 30 safety and security problems including flaws which he said could lead to fires and even an accidental nuclear explosion while on patrol or at the fleet’s home port, Faslane in Scotland. Mr McNeilly surrendered to Royal Navy Police at Edinburgh airport on Monday. Social media site Twitter carried a photograph of him said to have been taken in the canteen at Nelson barracks in Portsmouth.
The Ministry of Defence is expected to make a Commons statement on Thursday. Scottish former first minister Alex Salmond accused the government of attempting to “brush it all under the carpet.”