This is the last article you can read this month
You can read more article this month
You can read more articles this month
Sorry your limit is up for this month
Reset on:
Please help support the Morning Star by subscribing here
ETHIOPIA edged closer to war yesterday after a military offensive was ordered against separatists in the Tigray region.
Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed said that the move was necessary due an alleged attack on an army base by the Tigray People’s Liberation Front (TPLF).
“The final point of the red line has been crossed. Force is being used as the last measure to save the people and the country,” Mr Abiy said.
Tensions between Addis Ababa and the powerful northern Tigray state have escalated since the region held elections deemed illegal by the government.
Last week a government-appointed military chief was sent back to the capital by Tigray officials who said that Mr Abiy did not have a mandate to make such a move.
Federal politicians have demanded that funding to the Tigray government be cut to bring it back into line.
On Sunday, at least 54 ethnic Amhara people, mainly women and children were massacred by Oromo militia in Ethiopia’s West Wellega region just a day after the abrupt withdrawal of government troops.
