This is the last article you can read this month
You can read more article this month
You can read more articles this month
Sorry your limit is up for this month
Reset on:
Please help support the Morning Star by subscribing here
AT least 25 people were injured after police attacked striking doctors and teachers protesting against privatisation in the Honduran capital Tegucigalpa today.
Authorities fired tear gas at the crowds before moving in to forcibly disperse the crowds who were demanding the repeal of two executive orders issued by President Juan Orlando Hernandez.
Red Cross doctor Marcio Moncada says demonstrators and police were among those hurt in Tegucigalpa and all were hospitalised.
The Platform for the Defence of Education and Health, which brings both sectors together, warned the privatisation will destroy public services and lead to mass lay-offs.
It called a two-day national strike held yesterday and Thursday under the banner: “Teachers, Nurses, Doctors, Fathers and Mothers, Students and Regular People to unite for health and education!”
Demonstrations were also attacked by police in other Honduran cities including San Pedro Sula, El Progreso, Comayagua, Copan, Atlantida, Olancho, Valle and Choluteca.
Protesters blocked roads in the capital before they were tear-gassed by police. Local reports said they resisted by throwing rocks as armed police violently attacked them.
Teachers and doctors were joined by students and opposition activists in marching through the capital to Toncontin International airport.
They tried to barricade the airport and set up blocks on the runway before being removed by police.
They are angry over Mr Hernandez’s plans to privatise the health and education sectors.
Two executive orders introduced by the government declared emergencies in both sectors and are usually only used in times of war, epidemics or during “disturbances to peace.”
Dr Ramon Lagos, who works at the Tegucigalpa Teaching Hospital, the country’s leading medical facility, said that the Honduran people “cannot make any more sacrifices.”
Many are demanding the resignation of the Honduran president, chanting slogans such as “JOH [Juan Orlando Hernandez] Out.”
Mr Hernandez started a second term of office as president in January 2018 after a controversial election marred by allegations of corruption and ballot-rigging.
Mr Hernandez is supported by the US despite concerns over serious irregularities being raised by the Organisation of American States and the European Union.
Washington backed a 2009 coup which removed the democratically elected former president Manuel Zelaya from office, replacing him with former Congress speaker Roberto Micheletti as interim leader.
Earlier this month Israel sent 1,000 soldiers to Honduras under an agreement with Mr Hernandez and the US.
They are training the Armed Forces of Honduras and National Police, who were deployed to today’s protests.
