Skip to main content

UN: Angola & Russia halt South Sudan sanctions

RUSSIA and Angola blocked a US proposal for sanctions against two South Sudanese military leaders at the UN security council on Tuesday.

The plan, which was leaked by unnamed diplomats on Monday, was to add General Paul Malong and general turned rebel leader Johnson Olony to a list of South Sudanese leaders subject to a travel ban and asset-freeze.

The measures would have come into force without a vote if no objections had been raised by 7pm GMT on Tuesday.

Russian UN Ambassador Vitaly Churkin said that the foreign ministers of Sudan and South Sudan, who recently held talks in Moscow with Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov, signed a joint communique that included opposition to sanctions in the conflicted latter country.

“We think we need to take that into account,” Mr Churkin told reporters. “The United States — very often they just say: ‘Sanctions, sanctions, sanctions,’ and in some cases it severely aggravates the situation.”

OWNED BY OUR READERS

We're a reader-owned co-operative, which means you can become part of the paper too by buying shares in the People’s Press Printing Society.

 

 

Become a supporter

Fighting fund

You've Raised:£ 9,899
We need:£ 8,101
12 Days remaining
Donate today