Skip to main content

Iraqi communists warn against using the country in tit-for-tat war

IRAQI communists called for the international community to respect national sovereignty today, warning against the country being used as an arena for war between the US and Iran.

In a statement issued in response to Iran’s retaliatory missile attack on the US bases in bases in Ain al-Assad in Anbar and Harir in Erbil, the Iraqi Communist Party (ICP) demanded an end to “flagrant violations” to ensure the safety and security of Iraqi citizens.

Tensions have escalated dangerously after US President Donald Trump ordered the assassination of Iranian Quds force commander General Qasem Soleimani in a drone attack at Baghdad airport last week.

Mr Trump claimed in a televised speech on Wednesday that the Iranians appeared to be “standing down” after the revenge attack on the US military bases.

But in the hours after the speech missiles were fired at the so-called green zone in Baghdad, with one reportedly landing close to the US embassy.

Abdollah Araghi, a member of Iran’s joint chiefs of staff, said the Revolutionary Guard “will impose a harsher revenge on the enemy in the near future.” 

The ICP however said it stood “firmly against turning our homeland into an arena to settle accounts and implement tit-for-tat revenge operations.”

It said the current developments stemmed from an absence of serious efforts by the Iraqi government, which itself remains fractured after months of protests.

“All parties are required to exercise restraint, prudence and wisdom, and to prevent our people, youth, and wealth fuelling a war with which our people have nothing to do,” the party statement said.

“Our people’s choices and will have to be respected, being the masters of their own destiny and their independent national decision-making, away from external pressures, threats and interference in their internal affairs.”

Iraqis have suffered greatly through wars and sanctions — including the illegal US-led invasion and occupation of 2003 which destabilised the region and led to the rise of jihadist groups including Isis and al-Qaida.

The ICP warned against a return to those times “full of tragedies and disasters” and said Iraqis must be allowed to build their lives away from violence, hatred, corruption and sectarian power-sharing.

Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif warned Mr Trump against continued military spending in the Middle East after the US President continued to brag about the size of military forces and advanced equipment in the region.

“Beautiful military equipment does not rule the world: people do,” he said.

OWNED BY OUR READERS

We're a reader-owned co-operative, which means you can become part of the paper too by buying shares in the People’s Press Printing Society.

 

 

Become a supporter

Fighting fund

You've Raised:£ 9,899
We need:£ 8,101
12 Days remaining
Donate today