Skip to main content

Men's Football Blatter avoids testifying at start of Fifa fraud trial

FULL of smiles and confidence before entering the courtroom today, former Fifa president Sepp Blatter claimed later that he was bothered by chest pains and unable to testify on the opening day of his criminal trial.

Once the most powerful man in the world of football, Blatter is facing charges of defrauding Fifa in a Swiss criminal court. He is on trial along with former France great Michel Platini, his former protege who had been considered Blatter’s successor as president of the governing body of soccer.

Platini was also in court, sitting with an interpreter behind Blatter.

The 86-year-old Blatter was due to be questioned today but when he was called to the stand about an hour before the court was scheduled to adjourn — following several motions from the defence that were all rejected — he asked instead to respond on Thursday morning, when Platini is also set to be questioned.

“I’m not well. I have these problems that come and go,” Blatter, sitting with his lawyer on a long bench, said in a voice barely louder than a whisper. “I can’t breathe well. I don’t feel capable at the moment of responding to an interrogation.”

Blatter had earlier left the court for a break — another concession given to him because of his age — walking slowly out and clutching onto the shoulder of his daughter, Corinne Blatter Andenmatten.

“I hope that I’ll feel better tomorrow,” Blatter said.

The trial is expected to last 11 days and the court will sit only until lunchtime each day because of Blatter’s health. He was in a coma following heart surgery 18 months ago.

OWNED BY OUR READERS

We're a reader-owned co-operative, which means you can become part of the paper too by buying shares in the People’s Press Printing Society.

 

 

Become a supporter

Fighting fund

You've Raised:£ 9,899
We need:£ 8,101
12 Days remaining
Donate today