Skip to main content

RMT calls for better safety measures as Network Rail fined $4m

RAIL workers pressed for better safety measures today after Network Rail was fined nearly £4 million after two workers died in south Wales.

RMT general secretary Mick Lynch said that nothing could relieve the pain of the loss of two members who died after a train hit them while they were working on the track at Margam, near Port Talbot.

He said: “RMT will continue to press for the safest possible railway which means clear and unambiguous safety systems that protect all staff and passengers.”

Network Rail was fined almost £4m at Swansea Crown Court on Friday after the deaths of the two track workers in July 2019.

Gareth Delbridge, 64, and Michael “Spike” Lewis, 58, were struck and killed by a train after the company failed to put in place proper measures to protect workers, with no long-distance lookout in place.

Network Rail was fined £3.75m plus £175,000 in costs for breaching the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 by Recorder Christian Jowett.

The families of Mr Delbridge and Mr Lewis paid tribute to their lost loved ones, saying the “tragedy must never be repeated” and blamed their employer for failing to protect them.

The judge said issues surrounding safety policy had been known for some time ahead of the incident but Network Rail had failed to make improvements.

Network Rail Wales & Borders said it had continued to make safety improvements since the incident, claiming new technology and planning tools have almost eliminated the need to work on the railway when trains are running.

OWNED BY OUR READERS

We're a reader-owned co-operative, which means you can become part of the paper too by buying shares in the People’s Press Printing Society.

 

 

Become a supporter

Fighting fund

You've Raised:£ 14,343
We need:£ 3,657
2 Days remaining
Donate today