Skip to main content

Surge in cholera cases is overwhelming Haiti, aid agencies warn

CHOLERA cases are overwhelming Haiti as experts warn that the situation could worsen even further.

The latest crisis to hit the Caribbean state comes after the country begins to get back on its feet following a paralysing fuel blockade that lasted two months.

Dr Jeanty Fils, a spokesman for Haiti’s Ministry of Health, told reporters on Tuesday that cholera cases were likely contained during the fuel blockade since gas stations were closed and many in the country of more than 11 million people remained at home.

“Now people are going to move around more,” he said. “It could start spreading.”

At least 156 people have died and more than 6,900 are hospitalised, according to the Pan-American Health Organisation and Haiti’s government, although officials believe the numbers are likely to be much higher because of under-reporting.

The worsening situation prompted the United Nations to announce on Tuesday that it, along with Haiti’s government and other partners, was seeking $146 million (£122m) to help fight cholera.

At least half a million people in Haiti are at risk of contracting the disease, according to PAHO and the World Health Organisation.

“The surge in cases in recent weeks and the rapid spread of cholera in the country is worrying,” said Ulrika Richardson, UN resident and humanitarian co-ordinator.

Stephanie Mayronne, medical operations manager for Doctors Without Borders, said if people sickened with cholera start travelling to areas with poor sanitation and a lack of drinking water, the number of cases will likely rise.

“It’s a match that can light a fire,” she said.

The number of patients seeking help at Doctors Without Borders hospitals in the capital Port au Prince have spiked in recent weeks, with more than 6,500 admitted so far.

Alexandre Marcou, Doctors Without Borders Haiti field communication manager, told reporters that the recent lack of fuel and ongoing violence between gangs has prevented Haitians from reaching hospitals and medical clinics.

Ralph Ternier, chief medical officer in Haiti for the non-profit Partners in Health, said: “The epidemic is spreading so quickly that vaccines are really the tool that we need.”

In October, the WHO announced a worldwide cholera vaccine shortage that has forced it to suspend the usual double-dose strategy “at a time of unprecedented rise in cholera outbreaks worldwide.”

At least 29 countries have reported cholera cases this year, compared with fewer than 20 on average for the past five years, the agency said.

OWNED BY OUR READERS

We're a reader-owned co-operative, which means you can become part of the paper too by buying shares in the People’s Press Printing Society.

 

 

Become a supporter

Fighting fund

You've Raised:£ 9,899
We need:£ 8,101
12 Days remaining
Donate today