Skip to main content

E15 mothers leave homes with heads held high

Mums vow to continue fight against ‘social cleansing’

Mums who set-up camp in abandoned council flats after being made homeless will end their inspirational three-week occupation that will “go down in history” today.

The E15 mothers group will close the door on the Carpenters Estate block they’ve called home since September 20 for the final time this morning.

Their open house became a beacon in the fight against Britain’s housing crisis and people flocked far and wide to support them.

Dozens of supporters gathered for a farewell fireworks display and barbecue on Sunday evening with many returning yesterday morning armed with cardboard boxes to help the reluctant removal.

Taking time out from the clean-up to speak to the Star, campaigning mum Sam Middleton admitted: “I really don’t want to go.

“I always knew the occupation would come to an end.

“But it’s sad because it’s brought everyone on the estate together and new people have been visiting every day. It won’t be the same after today.”

Ms Middleton and her fellow mums will though leave the flat today with their heads held high.

The mums won the right to walk out on their terms at a court hearing on Thursday by forcing Newham Council officials to abandon their eviction plans.

Comedian Russell Brand, one of many supporters outside court, praised their “brave” stand against London’s “social cleansing.”

And London housing campaigner Heather Kennedy said yesterday that the occupation will “go down in history as the point when the fight for housing justice became impossible to ignore.”

Ms Kennedy, a spokesman for Hackney renters group Digs, told the Morning Star: “From a council estate in Newham, the Focus E15 mums have been inspiring and making activists of people who thought politics wasn’t for them.

“They’ve galvanised a movement of angry, articulate people who will no longer stand and watch their homes and communities sold from underneath them.

“The occupation may be ending but the campaign is only beginning.”

Ms Middleton was due to give birth to her daughter on the very day she was evicted from the Focus E15 Foyer hostel by Newham Council because of budget cuts.

Residents were told they’d found housing outside London but Ms Middleton and Jasmine Stone led refusenik mums.

Reflecting on their campaign, Ms Middleton said: “I think we’ve reached working-class people and made councillors and MPs aware of how bad things actually are.”

The mums clashed with Newham Mayor Robin Wales more than once during their campaign, most recently when supporters mobbed the Labour politician as he left a council meeting last week.

A petition calling on Mr Wales to resign from his £80,000-a-year post had attracted over 200 signatures within hours of being launched yesterday.

Carolyn Downs wrote that Mr Wales has “clearly failed to care for the borough’s most vulnerable residents while helping the rich.”

Newham Council did not respond to the Star’s request for a comment.

The mums plan to continue holding their Saturday street stalls and set up public meetings in east London.

They will also join housing campaigners in opposing the sell-off of public land at the MIPIM property fair in France next March.

OWNED BY OUR READERS

We're a reader-owned co-operative, which means you can become part of the paper too by buying shares in the People’s Press Printing Society.

 

 

Become a supporter

Fighting fund

You've Raised:£ 14,343
We need:£ 3,657
2 Days remaining
Donate today