This is the last article you can read this month
You can read more article this month
You can read more articles this month
Sorry your limit is up for this month
Reset on:
Please help support the Morning Star by subscribing here
The 24 Championship clubs met in London on Wednesday to consider proposed changes to the Financial Fair Play regulations.
FFP, designed to stop football clubs spending beyond their means and running up huge losses, has been in place for two years but without any sanctions.
However, a number of second-tier clubs are understood to want the existing rules changed.
Watford chief executive Scott Duxbury said last friday that while he agrees with the ethos of FFP, the current plans need adapting.
But Brighton chief executive Paul Barber said last month that he would be "very disappointed" if the rules were changed.
Following Wednesday's meeting, a Football League spokesman said: "Considerable progress was achieved on potential improvements to the current regulations following a constructive debate between clubs.
"In particular, there was a focus on maintaining fair competition between clubs, in light of the substantial increase in Premier League parachute payments brought in since the introduction of FFP.
"Clubs also considered the introduction of a 'real time' approach to financial reporting instead of the current retrospective analysis of club accounts."
Discussions are set to continue with three-quarters of the clubs needing to reach an agreement before any rule changes are implemented.
The spokesman added: "The League and Championship clubs will continue developing this work in order to achieve consensus, as any changes to the current regulations will require support from 75 per cent of clubs in order to be approved."
